Horseradish Chicken Tacos
Here’s a nice cool, refreshing recipe for the hazy, hot and humid dog days of summer. It’s made with lots of fresh, local, in-season ingredients (many of which can be found at Schmitt’s Farm Stand on Sound Ave.)... including Holy Schmitt’s Horseradish!
This recipe makes 4 servings of 2 tacos each (8 tacos total)
2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil (divided)
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and thinly sliced
4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
salt, to taste
8 (8-inch) multigrain tortillas
2 cups baby spinach
1 cup light sour cream
⅓ cup red onion, finely chopped
2 teaspoons lime juice
4 teaspoons Holy Schmitt’s Horseradish
- Season chicken strips with cumin, coriander, black pepper and salt.
- While the chicken marinates, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over high heat. Add onions and saute for 5 minutes. Then add red pepper and saute another 5 minutes, until onions are translucent and peppers have softened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add chicken strips. Cook about 10 minutes (turning) or until no longer pink.
- Whisk together ingredients for Horseradish sauce. Warm tortillas according to package instructions.
- Place ¼ cup spinach over each tortilla. Divide chicken over spinach. Top with onion, peppers and horseradish sauce.
- Top with cilantro if you’d like.